Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Weeks Thirteen and Fourteen: 18 mile run in Woodside

The highlight of this weekend was that I successfully completed a wonderful 18-mile run at Woodside on 9th September, 2006. The course itself was very beautiful, with lots of hills, including a steep hill at the end of the course. We ran in Woodside, and then north along 280, then along Edgewood park and back along 280, and finished up with a loop in Woodside. I managed to finish this run quite well, and felt much better at the end of it, compared to the 16 mile run. My pace did slow down by almost one minute per mile, but I have learnt to expect that on these long, hilly runs. I am very happy that I managed to "finish strong" as our coach puts it.

After the run, I managed to ice my sore muscles, and rest for a while. Niket was in town, and we spent the rest of Saturday packing up stuff for my move to a new apartment on Sunday. The move was followed by cleaning up the old apartment and then unpacking in the new apartment. Overall, it was a very hectic weekend; hence the delay in posting this update.

I was pleased to see that the recovery time after the long runs is getting shorter, and I am feeling much stronger after the run. My right ankle turns out to be the weakest link, and I need to ice it often to get it in shape for the next workout. As long as it cools down in time, I am fine with bearing some extra pain for a day or two.

This week is recovery week for us, with 5-7 miles buddy runs and 6-8 miles runs on the weekend. Next week will be the final long run of the season- a 20 mile run on the final Nike marathon course in San Francisco.

8 Comments:

Blogger nupur said...

Brave girl!!! Keep it up :-)

Wednesday, September 13, 2006 10:20:00 PM  
Blogger Pradnya said...

thedq, Thanks for your wishes!
-Pradnya

Wednesday, September 13, 2006 10:48:00 PM  
Blogger Rohit Sonak said...

Awesome awesome! This is great stuff, way to go pradnya! Go easy on the runs this week, timing your rest days well is also a key component of training.

You are well set for the marathon. One thing to be careful about in this last month is not to overtrain or do anything different from your set routine ...

Thursday, September 14, 2006 1:54:00 PM  
Blogger G said...

Great going Pradnya. At this rate, you look to be on course to run about 32 miles...remember it's "only" 26.x :) Good luck!

Sunday, September 17, 2006 1:02:00 AM  
Blogger Sateesh Kaisare said...

Bravo.

I am thrilled even by reading how u complete that run.

Next time 20 mile run should be as easy for u. good luck.

....sateesh kaisare

Sunday, September 17, 2006 10:12:00 AM  
Blogger Pradnya said...

Rohit, Thanks a lot for your advice. I will try my best not to over-train. We have another big run coming up this weekend. This one will be on the final marathon course, so it should be fun. I remember it involved one steep hill; the rest of the hills are mild enough.

Monday, September 18, 2006 9:08:00 AM  
Blogger Pradnya said...

Guru, Thanks a lot for your wishes. I really wish I could think of it as "only" 26.2. Although, now it feels like just 8 miles more than what I have already done. I can do it!

Monday, September 18, 2006 9:10:00 AM  
Blogger Pradnya said...

Baba, Thanks for the wishes. I am not sure whether the 20 mile run will be easy, but it should definitely be doable. Will keep you posted.

Monday, September 18, 2006 9:14:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home