Monday, June 05, 2006

The Journey Begins...

For ages, people have been trying to get me to start blogging. Although I read and keep up with quite a few blogs, I never found enough motivation to actually start writing a blog. Add to this the fact that my writing style isn't that great, and I had a recipe for disaster.

Last week, I finally found the one compelling reason I had been looking for, in order to start a blog. I attended a meeting organized by Team In Training (TNT), which is a program for training athletes for endurance sports. I went there with the thought that maybe it was time I considered registering with some marathon training group- something I have been wanting to do for a long time, but never gathered enough courage to get into.

The meeting changed everything. In exchange for the training, TNT asks all participants to raise funds for The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. The society's mission is to cure leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin's disease, and myeloma. During the meeting, they introduced a number of "honorees" who have been battling some form of blood cancer, who have faced innumerable sessions of drugs, chemo etc., and in whose honor we will be running the marathon.

One honoree very aptly put it (paraphrase): "The darkest statement most of you would have been told in life is- You need to train for marathon or a triathlon; or You have lost your job; or something similar. The darkest statement I have been told (at age 19) is- You are going to die soon."

That statement hit home. I am determined to run the Nike Women's Marathon for this young girl and for many more like her.

The target is 26.2 miles and $2500. Although, in reality, the target is much beyond those two simple numbers. This blog will track my journey down this challenging path.

13 Comments:

Blogger Sharvari said...

Yay! I am so glad you started blogging. And what better reason than a noble one. Let us know if we can help raise that $2500.

Friday, June 09, 2006 9:12:00 AM  
Blogger Pradnya said...

Thanks SN. Of course I will need your help with raising the money. The running part is my responsibility, and I am confident about it; the fundraising will be a collective effort. More details in a later post.

Friday, June 09, 2006 9:40:00 AM  
Blogger nupur said...

PK!! Nice nice. Very nice!
Aur i was just thinking of joining the marathon training pgrm by ASHA this july. But i guess i will just read your blog now. Good advice needed!! :-)

Friday, June 09, 2006 10:19:00 AM  
Blogger Pradnya said...

Thanks TheDQ. However, rather than reading the blog, I would recommend that you should join the ASHA program. I am sure you will enjoy it.

Friday, June 09, 2006 5:32:00 PM  
Blogger Aditya said...

good luck training for the marathon ... and blogging too :)

Monday, June 12, 2006 6:40:00 AM  
Blogger Ash said...

Ill support the cause
:)
-ashwini

Monday, June 12, 2006 2:12:00 PM  
Blogger Pradnya said...

Aditya, Thanks a lot for the wishes!

Monday, June 12, 2006 2:32:00 PM  
Blogger Pradnya said...

Ashwini, Thanks a bunch for your support!! That makes you the first person to support the cause on my behalf. Thanks once again.

Monday, June 12, 2006 2:35:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Pradnya, Not sure if you remember me. I was your classmate at Holy Cross. All the very best in your noble cause. I just supported my colleague in his bike race for this cause in Ohio.

Tuesday, July 04, 2006 2:11:00 PM  
Blogger Pradnya said...

Thanks a lot for your wishes Julu. Of course I remember you from school. I am glad you found me here. We should catch up some time.

Saturday, July 08, 2006 8:55:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pradnya,

Don't know if you know me ... yet. I'm an old buddy of Niket's from UDCT.

Wishing you all the best in this effort. How do I monetarily support the cause?

Sunday, July 30, 2006 12:48:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey pradnya...thats some nice work!!!!

Tuesday, August 01, 2006 11:03:00 AM  
Blogger Pradnya said...

Radhika, Thanks for your wishes.
-Pradnya

Tuesday, August 01, 2006 5:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home